Table of Contents
A public transport system is believed to be the best solution to the many problems like pollution, fuel consumption, time management and a handful of others. Rail network, underground rail network, planes, and buses are the common most mode of public transport. Buses are the cheapest solution for governments to implement and maintain. People can use them conveniently at an affordable cost. But, it seems that On Demand Transport Apps like On Demand Bus Booking Apps and On Demand Taxi Booking Apps have altered these facts.
The Traditional Bus Transport Model & Its Drawbacks
Buses were launched as the public transport for masses in the first quarter of the twentieth century all over the world. its performance was calculated on the punctuality of the service. Buses would operate on fixed routes and arrive at the stops and stations on fixed times. If you want to use one, you have to be there on time or the buses may leave empty as well. Why would they risk meddling with the performance matrix? It was solely based on the punctuality. And it is still the very same. They have added a few other factors in their matrix, like operational cost and carbon footprint yet it widely depends on the punctuality of the bus system.
As a result, buses are expected to arrive on time and depart on time. The basic demand-and-supply rule of the economics won’t be applied here. So, during peak hours or rush hours buses would get over-crowded and transport more commuters than their capacity. It would sound very efficient. But, during the off-peak hours and holidays, it will ply with only a handful of passengers. It may not be even half of their capacity. So, the efficiency of peak hours will be cut short. Sometimes, two buses will appear at a single stop where there is only one passenger. So, we must deduct that the traditional system of the bus network is not ideal and On Demand Bus Booking Apps have proved it time and again.
Data From The National Transit Database
Every transport mode provides, consumes and finances the transportation differently. The service expenses and factors depend on the operating environment of different areas. The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) maintains and updates the National Transit Database (NTD). Its figures for 2016 shows that,
- The average operating cost per Vehicle Revenue Hour (VRH) is highest for ferries: $1,559.23. But it provides 170.3 Unlinked Passenger Trips (UPT) per VRH. So the final cost per passenger is as low as $9.16.
- On the other hand, On Demand Transportation modes like On Demand Taxi Services (DT) and other Demand Responses (DR) cost $57.25 and $83.92 VRH respectively so they are a lot cheaper. Its usage is not widespread so UPT is relatively higher but it can come down if the usage numbers go up.
The stats for bus services are quite discouraging:
- The empty buses keep plying because of the outdated service model.
- An average urban transit bus has a capacity of 39 passengers but it transports 11 passengers per trip.
- An average city bus needs 20 percent more energy per passenger than a car because of congested roads.
- In fact, a bus uses as much energy per passenger as an SUV.
The Benefits Of On Demand Bus Booking Apps
The stats for On Demand Transportation services like On Demand Bus Booking Apps and On Demand Taxi Booking Apps are quite encouraging. The data suggests that the more the On Demand Transportation Services will be used, the more cost-effective they will become.
With the success of Uber-like On Demand Taxi Booking Apps, it is proven beyond doubt that more and more people are getting used to On Demand Transportation Services. If On Demand Bus Booking Apps are deployed within a transport system, it will be a win-win situation for all. It is not meant to replace the existing fixed-route and fixed time transport system. It is meant to complement it. If On Demand Bus Booking system is deployed,
- There will be neither over-crowded buses nor empty buses. People will book their seats in advance and buses will be dispatched accordingly.
- Smaller buses can be used where less number of people are interested in transportation and bigger buses can be used on busier routes. It will be the optimum usage case.
- Passengers will have a personalized user experience. They will be able to demand bus booking from the location of their choice to their destination.
- Passengers will have great convenience in planning their journeys. It will be both cost-effective and time-effective.
- People will use public transport in remote areas and in the areas not covered by the existing routes and system. So public transport will be more popular and viable.
- Real-time GPS tracking of the bus and live feedback will help improve the overall system.
- The operation cost of the business will decrease because there won’t be any empty buses. Bus operators will be able to utilize their fleet to the optimum level.
As the world is going mobile, more and more services are available through smartphones. On Demand Services like On Demand Food Delivery, On Demand Grocery Delivery, On Demand Taxi Booking and On Demand Bus Booking are becoming more and more popular day by day. Whether you own a fleet of bus or work in the public transport system, you must have noticed these changes. This is the right time to implement your ideas to join the On Demand world.
Established in 2009, iCoderz Solutions is a full stack mobile app development company cum website development company. The dedicated iCoderz teams for iOS app development as well as Android app development have delivered more than 400 mobile apps and more than 100 websites. We have served more than 300 clients to their satisfaction and retained most of them. iCoderz Solutions has readymade solutions for a variety of On Demand services. Our On Demand Bus Booking Apps are ready to be delivered with complementing web-based admin panel. Contact us to know more, see the demo and have the quote for your own mobile app.