Table of Contents
- What is Web Application Development?
- What are the Types of Web Applications?
- Why Every Company Should Consider Developing a Web Application?
- Top Factors Impacting the Cost of Developing a Web Application
- Understanding the Cost Factors in Web Application Development
- In-house vs. Outsourced Development: Which is the Right Choice for Your Business?
- Strategies for Keeping Web App Development Cost low
From small business websites to complex enterprise applications, web development costs can vary drastically. In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the key factors that go into creating a web application and how they affect the cost of development. From choosing the right technological tools to understanding the importance of the design process, you’ll get an in-depth look into how web application development costs are determined.
What is Web Application Development?
The process of developing a web application is called web application development. A web application is an application that is accessed over a network, such as the Internet, and runs on a web server. Typically, web apps are created using a scripting language like PHP, Perl, or Java.
The cost of web application development can vary depending on the size and complexity of the project. For small projects, the cost can be as low as $500. For large projects, the cost can be upwards of $100,000.
What are the Types of Web Applications?
There are three primary types of web applications:
1. Static Web Applications
Static web applications are the most basic type of web application. They serve pre-written HTML pages to users and do not require any server-side processing. Static web applications are typically the cheapest to develop, as they do not require any complex back-end coding or database development.
2. Dynamic Web Applications
Dynamic web applications are more complex than static web applications, as they require server-side processing to generate content on the fly in response to user requests. This means that more back-end coding is required, as well as a database to store data. Dynamic web applications usually cost more to develop than static web applications, but they can provide a richer user experience.
3. Web Portals
Web portals are the most complex type of web application. They provide a central gateway or hub for accessing multiple other websites or online services. Web portals typically have many features and functionality, and can be very expensive to develop.
Why Every Company Should Consider Developing a Web Application?
In terms of revenue, the web app market is dominated by the e-commerce, media & entertainment, retail, travel, healthcare, and education industries. Let’s consider the potential of web app development using the progressive web application example.
By 2027, the global market for progressive web apps is expected to reach $10.44 billion.
Conversion rates on desktops are two times higher than those on mobile.
Some mobile applications are uninstalled by over 50% of users because they aren’t being used.
Top Factors Impacting the Cost of Developing a Web Application
The price of creating a web application depends on a variety of things. The most important factor is the complexity of the application. A simple web application can be developed for a few thousand dollars, while a complex web application can cost hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. Other important factors include the size of the team, the experience of the team, the tools and technologies used, and the Web Application Development Process.
1. The Scope of Work (SOW)
Your web application’s scope of work is the first thing you need to determine for estimating its cost. A web application’s scope can be as large as Netflix’s or as simple as a school management system. Thus, deciding the functionalities and features your web app will offer to users is crucial. The audience you’re building the web app for and the purpose it serves are further distilled.
2. Location of Developers
Development hourly rates are determined by the location of Web App Developers or outsourcing companies. Due to the higher cost of local Web App Developers and the availability of Expert Web App Developers at comparatively low rates in distant regions, companies often Outsource web Application Development. Developers in countries like the United States, Canada, and Australia, for example, earn the highest hourly rates in the world.
3. The Skillset of Developers
You should choose the number of professionals your web app development team needs before hiring a team. What to anticipate if you require a team with diverse experience is as follows:
It costs $300-$500 for 6-8 hours to design a simple landing page for a music app.
Alternatively, a complex landing page with 3D animations and elements costs $4000-$5000, depending on the vendor.
A custom design requires more time and effort since it combines standard and custom elements. There are also two types:
- 60 hours for Native App Design
- 90 hours for custom app design
4. The Maintenance Cost
You should not forget that maintenance is a lifelong process. The average cost of ongoing web app maintenance ranges between 15% to 20% of the total yearly budget of Web App Development Companies.
The app will undoubtedly undergo a lot of changes as it grows. It includes bug fixes, plugins and integration updates, code optimization, adding new features, security updates, and scaling, which are all included in the maintenance of the web app. Shortly, a greater number of improved versions will result in higher costs.
For example, if you spend $300,000 on web app development, then support and maintenance may cost you $150,000 a year.
Annual cost: $50-$5000
6. Hidden Costs of Web App Development
The following list of unexpected hidden costs will help you save thousands of dollars from your web app development budget if you don’t want to spend a fortune on it:
- To protect your customers’ valuable data, you may need to protect your website from malware and other security vulnerabilities. To secure your infrastructure, you may need to back up the data and use some paid tools, as well as hire security experts in some cases.
- Some web builders, such as Squarespace and GoDaddy, offer affordable subscription packages for plug-ins, updates, and templates.
- Choosing a template should be based on both your short-term and long-term goals. Additionally, if you need customization in the future, you should be able to articulate what you need.
You may also have to pay for design templates used by developers, which may require subscription costs for themes and additional plugins. It is a good idea to clarify these costs and also the cost of maintaining web apps with your outsourcing partners.
- Ensure that you partner with skilled development teams who understand your project requirements holistically to avoid such additional plugin costs at the end of the project. Qualified professionals are also familiar with tech stacks that do not require plugins for simple tasks but instead develop functionalities.
- For a prioritized list of software development tasks, use tools like product backlogs.
- You can always avoid such unforeseen app maintenance and hidden costs by hiring a professional and trustworthy web app development company.
Understanding the Cost Factors in Web Application Development
The Web Application Development Cost can vary greatly depending on the features and functionality you require. A basic web app with limited features may cost as little as $5,000 to develop, while a more complex app with multiple features could cost upwards of $500,000.
To get a better estimate of the Cost of Developing a Mobile App OR your specific web app, it’s best to consult with a Web Development Company or freelancer who can give you a more precise estimate based on the specifications of your project.
Simple Web Applications
Websites with a basic set of features, landing pages, and simple online stores. Minimum content and interactive elements – up to a month’s development time.
The Web Application Development Cost is between $15,000 and $50,000.
Applications for Medium-sized Businesses
Professional-level web apps take up to 3-4 months to develop because of the amount of content and interactive pages they contain. Here are some examples:
- Websites that sell products online
- Portal prototypes
- Small business web apps
The cost of developing a web application ranges from $50,000 to $150,000
Applications with Complex Requirements
It is important to note that custom web apps usually come with an exclusive CMS, an elaborate design, and therefore a high level of complexity. For example, a company with 500 employees decides to move its out-of-date CRM system to the web. They are usually aimed at profit-making or automating regular business processes.
Complex web applications can take up to six months to develop.
The cost of building a web application is between $60,000 and $250,000
Expenses Incurred After Release
To accurately estimate the cost of a web application, you need to include post-release expenses as well. These expenses mainly involve bug fixes and app maintenance. Bug fixes consume between 10% and 25% of the web development budget. The maintenance cost of a web application is approximately 20% of the development cost. The following additional features may affect the maintenance cost:
- From $20 to $60 per month, powerful servers.
- On average, push notifications cost $10 per month.
- Fees for third-party APIs vary depending on the type.
- Developer Fees – Google Play ($25) and Apple App ($99).
In-house vs. Outsourced Development: Which is the Right Choice for Your Business?
There are pros and cons to both using an in-house development team and outsourcing your web application development.
When you Hire Dedicated Development Team members directly as employees, you have an internal development team. They might be sourced from your current staff or hired on demand. The ability to better control the project is one of the main reasons businesses employ in-house teams.
– You have more control over the project since you’re working with a team that’s within your company.
– There is better communication since you’re all in the same office and can easily collaborate.
– You may be able to get the work done faster since there’s no need to coordinate between different time zones.
– It can be more expensive since you have to pay for each developer’s salary, benefits, etc.
– You may need to allocate more resources (e.g., office space, equipment) to accommodate an in-house team.
– It may be harder to find the right talent since you’re limited to your local area.
Hiring an outside company or contractor to handle website applications, launches, upgrades, migrations, and redesigns is known as web development outsourcing. Web designers, developers, database administrators, and IT support specialists are all provided by the external company.
– It can save you money since you only pay for the work that’s completed (no salaries or benefits).
– You can tap into a global pool of talent so you’re more likely to find the right skillset for your project.
– There’s more flexibility since you can scale up or down as needed.
– You have less control over the project since it’s being
Strategies for Keeping Web App Development Cost low
There are several choices available to you for lowering the cost of developing a web application. The fact that they demand knowledge and experience makes them the most challenging. Therefore, the best course of action is to select the ideal Mobile App Development partner who will guide you along this route.
Investigating your options for cost- and time-saving measures is certainly a good idea, but in the end, we suggest that you listen to the professionals. Make sure that you are prepared from your point of view by arranging and preparing the implementation.
1. Plan ahead and budget for your web app development costs.
2. Research the various options for web app development platforms and tools.
3. Choose a platform or tool that best fits your needs and budget.
4. Consider using open-source tools and platforms to save on costs.
5. Hire Experienced Web Developers who are familiar with your chosen platform or tool.
6. Utilize Cost-effective App Development Strategies such as Agile methodology.
Developing a website or web application can be an expensive endeavor, but businesses must stay competitive in the digital age. With this brief guide, we have outlined some of the key factors that can contribute to a Web Application Development project’s cost and provided resources on how you can estimate your costs. We hope this information has helped give you a better.